Sunday, April 29, 2018

Bicycling for ice cream

This is kind of like the old game show, "Dialing for Dollars," but everyone wins! We take bicycles everywhere, for grocery shopping, to the feed store, and for ice cream (my favorite!). The way it works is we pull the trusty touring bikes out of the shed, toss our purses into the metal basket, and head out on the street. No helmets, no safety check, just feet to the pedals and GO! I feel like a kid gettin away with something!

The downtown sweet shop is a destination, not just a stopover. The sweet shops are bright, pretty, colorful and enticing. This one is on one of the main shopping streets, which is filled with shops for ladies clothing, cell phones, shoe, sundries, fabrics and notions, and even a tatto/piercing shop. We can choose from a couple of dozen flavors (no Smurfs today) which are mostly natural (the flavors, not the Smurfs. They are clearly unnatural). This is a proper sweet shop so it also offers pastries such as petit fours and Napoleons. It also has smoothies, which it took me about 10 minutes to figure out.

We settle down at a table by the window so we can watch the passers-by. I end up sounding out the words I see all around me, my sister-in-law amusedly (did I just made up a word?) helping me out.

On the way home we stop at a couple of shops in our street. One is a little general store where we get fresh fruit. The other is a feed store where we get supplies for the cats and dogs. I learn that the proprietress was a classmate of my husband when he was a kid here! I think that is so cool! I'd like to know what percentage of people in the US still live in their hometowns. I think that a lot of folks here do.

Back home we tuck in to a selection of fruits and cheese for dinner. We eat very healthy in this house, everything is natural or home made.



No comments:

Post a Comment