Monday, April 23, 2018

First days in Budapest

I had stayed awake for 24 hours, so I slept fairly well my first night in Budapest. I took a Melatonin the second night, but woke in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep. So I messaged relatives in theUSA asking how much Melatonin I could take. I took a few more and still didn't sleep. So I listened to my Humgarian language course. Eventually I slept. But, oh! what a nightmare I had! Imagine being chased by a very bad person and not being able to escape. Eventually I discovered that I was in hell - bummer! I woke up just then and was rescued from an eternity of running.

I'm staying at my cousins' home in Budapest. Their grandchildren are visiting, a tiny boy and a primary-school age girl. She is helping me with Hungarian language. We are watching NickJr on TV and I am learning colors and numbers. The Smurfs are also on TV, I am excited because I love their name in Hungarian, it means "little blue [garden] gnomes." So cute! My little cousin isn't as enamored of Smurfs as am I.

My breakfast was bread and butter with marmalade and some specialty sausage. Lunch was liver pate on toast with home made tomato soup. Dinner was crepes filled with cocoa or marmalade. I make coffee a couple of times a day, trying to stay awake.

I get lots of sunshine playing outside with the children. The baby boy and I have about the same level of Hungarian language, except he understands more than I do. I listen and look at pictures when his grandmother reads to him. I am so proud to learn that "dump truck" is "dumpolo." I can remember that!

They have a pretty garden in back, with big old trees, oleanders, and a chicken run. Two chickens provide all the eggs the family needs.  I enjoy some soft boiled eggs, they are fresh and flavorful. They remind me of the fresh duck eggs my friend from the gym provides. Yummy!

Mostly I relax and play with the children. My cousin apologizes, thinking that it's no fun for me. But, I think it's perfect!

The next step is to take the bus three hours south to my husband's hometown. I've never ridden the bus in Hungary, so my cousins will teach me what I need to know. Then I can do it on my own.







No comments:

Post a Comment