Wednesday, April 25, 2018

To Do, and, Not to Do

List of things to do while abroad:

  • Walk to Centrum (town center) and look around
  • Get postcards and stamps
  • Use a bit of the local language and try not to feel like an idiot
  • Feel like an idiot anyway
  • Be grateful when locals helpfully show off their English language ability
  • Take a few pictures, glad that these days everyone uses a smart phone as a camera so a body doesn't look too much like a tourist
  • Eat the improbably named Smurf ice cream. Yes, it is unnaturally blue
CHECK on all the above!

Things NOT to do
  • Mess around with strange dogs
  • Get bit
  • Go to the hospital
  • Cause your sister-in-law to cry
Do as I say, not as I do. Why? Because it hurts, it's embarrassing, and not a fun interaction to have with somebody you love. 

It IS ok to joke around afterward to lessen the stress. I am now a Zombie (see photograph). I am grateful to my colleague who gave me an official Zombie pass at Halloween two years ago. I'm evidently harmless. A friend back in the States just helpfully instructed me to "not try to fight with a dog." Thanks, good advice. 








No comments:

Post a Comment